Membership at CBC
Last Sunday at CBC we welcomed new members into official membership at our church. It is always exciting when believers confirm and make public their commitment to a local body in a formal way.
Later in the week someone asked me to clarify one of the commitments I asked our new members to commit to. I told this individual I would address these commitments in our E-Bulletin. I encourage you to read through the scriptures referred to in the commitments. Here we go:
Having received Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour and being in agreement with the passion, mission, and foundational teachings of Community Bible Church, I now feel led by the Holy Spirit to unite with the Community Bible Church family. (Here we ask for an affirmation of their personal faith and a commitment to the core beliefs of CBC)
The next commitment is one of submission to the authority of the scriptures and the leadership pf CBC:
In doing so I agree to submit myself to the authority of the Bible in all areas of my life (2 Timothy 3:16), to submit myself to the membership and leadership of Community Bible Church and to commit myself to the following:
- Commitment # 1 – I will be a functioning church member – 1 Corinthians 12:12-13; Ephesians 4:16; 2 Corinthians 9:7. These scriptures urge every believer to commit to involvement in a local church. Here the Christian commits his/her time, talents and treasures as a functioning member of the local body of Christ.
- Commitment # 2 – I will be a unifying church member – John 13:34-35; Ephesians 4:1-3. These verses call the followers of Christ to be marked by love and genuine unity that seeks to build up, not tear down the church.
- Commitment # 3 – I will not let church be about my preferences and desires – Mark 9:35; Philippians 2:3-8 – As church members we are all servants. Not seeking what we prefer or desire, but rather, like Christ, seeking the well-being and encouragement of others.
- Commitment # 4 – I will pray for my church leaders – Hebrews 13:7, 17 – Leaders are called of God to lead as God’s servants shepherding His flock. I love the simplicity of 1 Thessalonians 5:25 where Paul asks for himself and his ministry team: Brothers, pray for us.” If Paul needs prayer, I know we, as your leaders, need it as well.
- Commitment # 5 – I will lead my family to be healthy church members – Ephesians 5:31-33, 6:1-4 – Church members have families, and they need to represent Christ and His local body well.
- Commitment # 6 – I will treasure church membership as a gift – Acts 20:28 informs us just how precious the church is to God. “Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood.” Church membership is something we should never take for granted or count as anything less than a precious gift from God.
One last statement which demonstrates the attitude of each new member is as follows:
When I received the free gift of salvation through Jesus Christ, I became a part of the body of Christ. Now I am humbled and honoured to serve and to love others in our church. I pray that I will never take my membership for granted, but see it as a gift and an opportunity to serve others and to be a part of something so much greater than any one person or member.
I hope this helps as you think through your own membership at CBC and consider membership in the future.
If you would like to consider formal membership at CBC please email me and we will set up a new membership class and get the process started – Byron@communitybible.ca.
See You Sunday,